Saturday, June 1, 2013

Zane's paw... and the TV

Today's post may be a little mundane... I may have to write something else later that is more interesting.  I might have had something more of substance to write had Zane not kept me up last night chewing on his left hind paw.  I don't know what he did to himself, but he's been chewing and licking that paw and now it's a bit red and inflamed.  When I tried to look at it the other day, he yelped at me.  So I sent my husband to the vet with him.  Hopefully, the vet will give us something that will make him feel better.

Last night, my husband fiddled around with the TVs and got the satellite working for about fifteen minutes before it froze up and crashed.  Looks like our receiver is bad.  Dish is sending a new one, which we will use for less than two months before we leave the area.

I booked our trip to San Antonio, which I blogged about on The Traveling Overeducated Housewife.  I gotta say it's a good thing I didn't pre-book another cruise because that trip to Texas is costing us a small bundle.  We'll be there a week...  In fact, we'll be there over Independence Day, which means that we'll get to see how San Antonio celebrates the fourth of July.  We'll also be there for my husband's birthday, which means that my mother-in-law will probably want to hang with us.  Actually, that's not a bad thing.  I love my mother-in-law.  She's easy to talk to and doesn't care that I swear like a sailor.

I look forward to getting this move over with.  I don't look forward to the process of getting this move done.  It's about 1200 miles or so to Texas and we'll be driving separate cars to get there.  It was a lot easier moving to North Carolina from Georgia.

I'm pretty sure I'll have something else to write about later... like maybe that woman from Arizona who was accused of trying to smuggle drugs out of Mexico and ended up spending the week in prison.  Thankfully, she got out... honestly, I can't even imagine how horrible that experience must have been for her.  On the other hand, I was kind of non-plussed by her comments about being a Mormon.  She basically implied that she should be above suspicion because of her religious preferences.  Now, she's probably an excellent person with an impressive moral fiber, but being LDS has nothing at all to do with the quality of a person's character.

There are plenty of corrupt Mormons out there.  In fact, while I believe that most Mormons are very good people, I also believe that the nature of the faith and its practices attract corrupt people, especially those who are narcissistic and prey on overly trusting people.  Case in point, Jodi Arias.  Or Mark Hacking.  Or Mark Hoffman.  Or Stetson Hallam.  Or Josh Powell, though it seems to me that he had pretty much started falling away from the faith.  Shoot, do some research on Joseph Smith or Brigham Young and you may find that they weren't exactly the "best" people, either.  Same goes for Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann.

Every day, new people show up on the Recovery from Mormonism messageboard, shocked and bewildered by some of the things they've learned by researching their own faith.  It's amazing to see some of these people, shattered by their sudden loss of testimony.  There's a reason why members are encouraged not to study too much; when they do, they find out truths that make them uncomfortable.  And when they find out the truth and say something about it, they find that the great people they admired so much are not so great after all.  They find out who their true friends really are.

In any case, I'm sure that this Arizona mom of seven is going to be held up as a faith promoting heroine.  What happened to her will be used as an example of how prayer works.  I don't know if prayer had as much to do with this as political pressure and cash did.  But not having first hand knowledge of the situation, who's to say what really went on.  I'm sure this lady will find a way to explain it as a trial from God... to test her faith and her strength.  She probably won't see it as simple corruption and thuggery.

I guess if seeing that situation as a simple test of faith helps her make sense of it, maybe that's not a bad thing.  But I'm guessing she won't want to go to Mexico again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.